Royal Park Hotel - Going Green
Royal Park Hotel received the Green Lodging Michigan (GLM) Steward certification from the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth (DELEG) in 2010 and continues to strive to implement environmental initiatives and cost-saving green practices to conserve energy, reduce water consumption, protect air quality and reduce waste.
The Royal Park Hotel in Rochester has implemented several environmental initiatives at their facility. They have a linen and towel reuse program as well as low flow fixtures to conserve water. They reduce waste through recycling, providing newspapers only when requested and offering paperless check-in and check-out. Royal Park Hotel has also installed Energy Star lighting and equipment to improve energy efficiency. They have also recently had an energy audit to help identify other energy conservation options.
"We're very happy to receive this certification which recognizes that being a local steward of the environment is not only the right thing to do, it's a great business decision," said Royal Park Hotel General Manager Jay Haratsis. "We will continue to meet the challenge as a four diamond hotel to identify ways in which value-added luxury and responsibility can work in harmony toward reducing the use of water, electricity and gas to increase sustainability.
- Our guest room amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap) by L’Occitane are 100% natural or certified organic. L’Occitane limits the use of packing materials and they strive to use recycled or recyclable packaging.
- We gently remind our guests to reuse towels and linens during their visit to assist in this endeavor.
- We have a partnership with Clean the World to recycle partially used soaps and bottled amenities from hotel guest rooms and distribute them in communities with limited access to hygiene products.
- We have collaborated with our cleaning / laundry vendor chemical( Procter & Gamble) to ensure that we are using cleaning products that protect our employee’s health and safety, and minimize the impact on land, air, and water.
- We have reformulated our water levels and temperatures in each laundry cycle of our washing machines. The result of this is 455,098 less gallons of water being used over the course of a year.
- With the help of our waste hauling vendor (Waste Management) we are able to recycle all tin, cardboard, glass, paper, and plastic.
- All guest rooms and hallways are lighted with compact fluorescent light bulbs that are more energy efficient.
- Our culinary team incorporates organic fruits, vegetables from local Michigan produce growers into our dining room menus on a regular basis, and all fryer grease is recycled.
- Trimmings from produce are transported to local farms to feed livestock.
- All meeting room air handlers are shut off each evening for 4 to 6 hours.
- All guest bathroom water fixtures are “low flow”.
Thank you for helping us maintain the environment.